Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Briars story

Briars story

Much like your brother and sisters pregnancies I had been having nightly contractions for a few weeks.  Some nights were a bit worse than others but nothing seemed to amount to much and by morning I was back to fewer contractions.  Friday march 2nd I woke feeling rested and without contractions.  Justine called off work with stomach issues again and so paisley came to work with me.  It was by far the hardest day of work this entire pregnancy, I was soo fatigued, contracting tons with movement, and generally felt blah.  I got home and immediately went to sleep.  By morning I felt great again!  Your dad and I had plans to go on one last date that night while baba watched your siblings.

We headed out for sushi and an evening at the wine room.  We saw friends aaron and amanda and uncle mark/aunt Kelly.  Sushi was soooo tasty but sitting in that booth was killing me....I think I was pretty much uncomfy in all positions now.  We got home around 11 pm after a fun evening of laughs.  It had begun to snow and I headed to bed by midnight.  Much like other nights I slept well and woke to griffin and paisley around 7 the next morning (and no snow on the ground).  Within five minutes I felt a contraction (hmmm, that's odd a morning contraction), five minutes later another.....so I laid in bed and timed them.  Sure enough they were coming five minutes apart and lasting about 45 s.  

Pam was still out of town so around 9 a.m. I texted Alice to tell her what was going on and see what her day had planned.  I also texted Grammie, aunt Kelly, and aunt Lisa.  I was still unsure if this was it but it was something more than before so time would tell.  I spent most of the morning in bed, watching law and orders on Netflix, and timing contractions.  They never got further than 8 minutes apart and sometimes were 3 minutes apart.  Lee kept griffin and paisley out of my way since my patience was very thin.   Around 1 p.m. I went to the bathroom and felt wet in my bottoms...when I peaked it was bloody!  Ok!  It will be happening I thought!  I yelled down to your dad who promptly stood up, announced to your siblings we were having a baby, and started bustling around.  His excitement annoyed me royally-lol-another sure sign I was in labor but one I did not recognize at the time.

I decided I wanted to go for a walk with the family at this point.  It was sunny and brisk and I was tired of being in the house.  I updated everyone via text and we walked to the office for a few things.  Everyone found it comical that I was saying it was going to happen today yet I was going on a walk. Ha.  Aunt Kelly wanted to finish some homework and aunt Lisa was cooking so I told them I thought that was fine...it would be several hours still (that was round 2:30).  Daddy and I cleaned around the house a bit and threw laundry on and loaded the dishwasher-anything to get the house a bit more prepped.  I worked on the bedroom to make sure we were ready for birth and daddy cleaned the bathroom.  At some point I took another hot bath too.  The contractions were still five minutes apart roughly but getting a bit more intense-they seemed shorter too.  I started to doubt everything and feeling foolish i had riled everyone up for nothing.

Around 5 p.m. I checked in with Alice and said they were about the same.  Immediately after they shifted to more intense and a bit closer together.  We spoke again around 6 p.m. And i told her it was fine if she went to the grocery store and checked in upon her return.  Aunt Lisa showed up at this point and I hung out with her and paisley In my bedroom.  Paisley got her nails done and Lisa was knitting.  Contractions were shifting to every three minutes apart and I had to hum/moan through them.  Paisley was my labor assistant during this time-holding my hands and telling me how great I was doing.  She even assisted me during a very powerful contractions on the toilet as I hugged her tightly.  Griffin brought me a balloon flower in a vase to help me.    I got in the bath again.  After getting out of the tub I asked daddy to call Alice and ask her to come if she hadn't already left.  I knew I needed her here!  He got off the phone and said "45 minutes she'll be here.". That felt like agony but doable.

The next 45 minutes contractions picked up pace and intensity but were still lasting about 30-40 s. Long.  I liked standing and rocking through them.  Lisa and daddy were supporting me taking turns and also working together...sometimes I was leaning on them, sometimes just holding their hands.  The pains were getting so intense they were making me weak but sitting was awful.  I did hands/knees On the bed a bit and child's pose while Lisa rubbed my back.  None of it was as comfy as standing with my arms on bed and rocking.  Lisa would rub my wrists in between contractions-she said I was putting a lot of pressure on them but I could barely tell.  I was really starting to get anxious because Alice wasn't there yet but then she texted saying she was about 10 minutes away.  Kelly was on her way too.  That may have been the longest 10 minutes-lol.  Daddy and Lisa got the crockpot going and put some pads down on floor and bed.  They also decided they would be able to deliver the baby if needed (in my head I thought this was a terrible idea but was also happy to know they felt confident since I did not).

Alice and Kelly arrived about the same time 7:50 p.m.  I was feeling like I needed to have a bowel movement at this point but since I had pooped at 6:30 p.m. I was also thinking it was you coming down and getting ready to be born.  I was feeling really weepy during contractions and had some slight nausea too. Kelly, Lisa, and lee helped me through some very powerful contractions...holding my hands and just surrounding e with love.  It was so awesome having them there.  Griffin was in his room playing Eden and paisley was watching little mermaid downstairs.  She told daddy she wanted to be a mommy when she grew up-so sweet!  Alice set up quickly, listened to baby, and took my bp.  She then suggested I try sitting on the toilet for a few contractions and trying to urinate.  Daddy came in with me and I had one contraction that was awful and called for Alice.  She had me check myself to feel for head/waters bulging...I felt neither so we discussed where I wanted to birth (bedroom on birth stool but pretty sure I said "not on the toilet").  I was really starting to feel out of control which I recognized as a good sign but since I didn't know if I was fully dilated I was doubting my bodies signs.   Alice told me she felt once my waters broke we would be having a baby.  She then suggested I labor on the toilet til that time.  I remember thinking "ok crazy lady but I won't be able to feel my feet soon in this position"....I think I thought it would be awhile while Alice knew it would not be long.  In fact it was two contractions and my water/plug shot out of me into the toilet.  It sounded like a shot gun to me but daddy said it sounded more like a shart(haha).  There was some light meconium in the waters Alice informed me.

Once the waters broke Alice said "ok let's move".  I said I couldn't but she told me I could and she and aunt Lisa picked me up and we went to the bedroom.  Daddy had set it up for us.  Somehow I sat on it crooked and so daddy was supporting me on one side and Lisa had the other but was also making sure it didn't topple over.  I could feel the uncertainty in their bodies but I  Could barely move.  I shifted just enough to make it better for all of us.  I had one powerful contraction and asked Alice what she saw (since it felt like a head was coming but I wasn't sure if I was just crazy at that point-I think i wanted it to be the head so the pain would be finished).  She looked but then encouraged me to look with the mirror,  I went back and forth on that "no I don't want to look, ok let me peak).  All that was happening was a little spreading of everything.  The next contraction I said "I think the head is coming", not sure anyone believed me but sure enough ring of fire and your head was born.  I wasn't positive (or once again overly hopeful) it was out so I asked and Alice said I could birth the body now.  For some reason (we later realized your chest was nearly as big as your head) it did not seem "easy" to birth your body like the other two...I pushed hard through a contraction and beyond and you were out!!  Sweet relief just like the other two times!!  Your cord was nice and long so I held you in my arms.    There was poop/mec everywhere which was a bit stinky but I loved you so much instantly.  You pinked up immediately but you were quiet not making noise for a few minutes it seemed.  Then you gurgled a little...I got a bit nervous but finally you let a little cry out.  You seemed so content just being there in my arms.  I birthed your placenta and then Daddy finally cut your cord and I passed you off to him.  I was able to move to the bed at that point which felt heavenly compared to the hard stool for birthing.

Both griffin and paisley were nearby in their room but not actually present for your birth.  Aunt Kelly actually technically missed it too because she walked out of the room at the exact time your head was coming out-she thought the kids were coming in and would be upset so she stepped out to check. :(. It really was that quick-2 contractions quick!

Your stats: 8lb 4 oz., 20 in long ( you would have been HuGe born at 40 weeks), chest/head 34/36 cm-woh!

We love you so so much.  Immediately you looked liked your sister but then we saw a bit of your brother.  Now I think you just look like you!   You are a great nurser and brought my milk in in a rapid 22 hours.  You make little piggy noises when rooting and so far are a great sleeper.  So happy you are in our family.

3 comments:

Mom/ Grammiex3 said...

beautiful. I could picture it all. Thank you for sharing. Love, Hugs, I love you!

The Cribkeeper said...

Great birth story:) You're a strong lady, Allison!

The Bryan-Stewarts said...

what a lovely birth story. You are a strong and inspirational woman. Enjoy your baby moon.