Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 18, 2010

Griffin update

Griffin has been exhausting but wonderful all the same. He is sooo energetic and it has been cold and dreary out. This creates some long days with not much to vent steam for a little boy. His energy is endless but even when he is tired he doesn't just shut down, he revs up...he has always been like this. So, we have been actually having him sleep more and this has helped a little. Lee thinks this just energizes him for the next day ;) which is true but at least we have fewer crying spells.

He is very busy learning about his letters at school and identifying the letters from his name everywhere in the world. I see that he enjoys praise very much which I am happy about but it also worries me. I was like this and I think it led me to living up to a lot of expectation I "thought" people had over me. Anyhow, I hope he continues to have a blend of motivating factors for learning.

He has become quite the helper. Sometimes I think this is because his sister LOVES helping and he LOVES razzing her so if he helps she gets all upset....it is oh so much fun figuring this balance out. Neither of them is quite old enough to do days of the week like my mom did with us but I tell you what, 2 more years and we are there if needed. SO, for now, we are doing a lot of turn taking and they are both improving each day.

He has shown so much more affection for his sister, including her in his play and really identifying with her as his sibling. I love seeing this...even with the bad that comes with it: the teasing, taunting, punching, etc. all the lovely things a brother does to his sister, right? She gives him a run for his money though so mostly I can stay out of it.

Griffin continues to show his sense of humor and artistic side of himself in the classroom and at home. I love this!

Lastly, two conversations in the car over the last couple weeks:

#1 Paisley: me snow, me snow (I think she was saying I see snow)
Griffin: you are not snow. you are not white. If you were white like your boots all over then you could be snow.
Paisley: otay Griffin
Griffin: and if you were white all over we could make you into a snow ball. then we would throw you at mommy. then you would be gone. then we would be sad because you woudl be gone and we would not have a baby anymore.
Paisley: otay griffin

#2: Griffin: mommy when I get big and paisley gets big we can be a mommy and a daddy.
Me: yes, and when you guys become mommy and daddy then we (mommy and daddy) will become a grammie and papa.
Griffin: yes but then you could get a little bit smaller so we could all be adults together, ok?
Me: (laughing) ok

1 comment:

Mom said...

here's to you not growing any more! those reports and conversations are priceless!