Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Homemade fish sticks..

They were an even bigger hit than the homemade chicken nuggets. He LOVED them! He ate so much of them that he then said "you gave me too much food. my belly is soooo full." lol. We paired it with baked sweet potato fries and steamed broccoli and cauliflower (or as they call it white broccoli). It was really really tasty!

I am trying to decide when/how to make the step to branching into chicken/fish non fried. lol. I mean, this is still a HUGE step up for this picky eater. He LOVED it. But I of course want to make it even healthier once the taste is in him. I am just slowly trying to open up those taste buds of his.

Any ideas? I know we could bake them but I really think the next step still needs to have a bit of crunch so he will accept it. The way we made them tonight were not bad persay but I know they could be better. I am just beyond thrilled that he has eaten so well this week! we are making some progress finally.

3 comments:

The Cribkeeper said...

I coat a lot of things (chicken, pork chops, etc.) with crushed up corn flakes or seasoned bread crumbs and bake them. You have to dip them in butter or egg first to get the coating to stick, but they usually turn out tasty:) You might also try adding some dry Hidden Valley ranch or Mrs. Dash to your bread crumbs or corn flakes to add a different taste.

Meredith said...

I've used crushed up Ritz crackers to make "Ritzy chicken." Yes, dip in egg first. Kids like it.

The Bryan-Stewarts said...

sounds tasty. was it easy? we're still trying to branch out to different foods too. althought I think I am just going to be lazy the next few months until we sell the house