Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Long Week

I really cannot believe it has been a week since my last post...only a week? wow. It has been a very long week. A good week for us. A not so great week for many around me. A week of reflection, of pain, of death, of suffering...I am ok, so is Lee, so are the kids. But all of this is putting things into perspective and quickly. Lee's grandfather is dying. He has been for awhile now (we all are right?) but I guess it is progressing pretty quickly this week. I plan to pop over there tomorrow and see how he is doing. I realized in talking to Lee tonight that he is the grandfather that I have the most memory with, the most relationship with...I mean, I was raised with three grandpas. My grandpa carroll always made time for family, it was important to him but he was stern and my memories of him barring a few towards the end were quite rigid. My grandpa Larry was my "grandpa" grandpa....he watched football, sat in his easy chair, and was quiet. I loved him very much but a talker he was not. My grandpa Dewitt...great memories but they are few. He loved Wendy's and aquariums and drove with both feet on the pedals of his automatic car (haha). But Chal...well, he has told me the same stories a billion times about many men I don't care about nor did I ever know...but he has been a real presence in my world for the last 12 years. A constant and I have not had that in a grandpa figure for a long time, if ever. So, this is hard.

anyhow, a long week but we are doing ok. taking it all in stride and counting our blessings, looking for the silver lining as often as possible.

3 comments:

mom said...

my heart aches for you, my dear, love and hugs sent your way. You said it perfectly and your grandfathers were all very special and would approve of this 4th one very much!

The Cribkeeper said...

I'm so sorry, Allison. I'll be thinking of you:(

The Bryan-Stewarts said...

Allison - what wonderful beautiful memories you have of each of your grandfathers. That is a true blessing. You my friend have been blessed in many ways.