Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 21, 2010

sleep regression

Paisley's sleep is getting worse. I just don't even know what to do anymore. She gets pickier and picker on where, who, how and when she sleeps. No nap does not even help this. In fact, it makes it worse. I have to think we are just going through a transition. The saddest part for me is that the sleeping in the same room seems to not be working for either kid :( They fight so much awake and not awake. Sure, there is an occasional loving moment but mostly Griffin does not want to be with her and then is mean or scary, then Paisley cries and does not want to be near him. It is just awful. She cries at almost everything, not really crying but whining crying. I feel like I need a restart button. And last night after over 2 months of never wetting the bed and months before that of waking with a dry diaper she wet in my bed. UGH. I am so tired this morning.

7 comments:

The Cribkeeper said...

So sorry to hear you're going through a hard time. My girls fight like cats and dogs, too. It makes me CRAZY!!! And Carly went through a faze when we were potty training her where she started wetting the bed at night, and even wet her pants a couple of times during the day. I have no idea why. I tried not to make a big deal out of it (they tell you not to), but it drove me nuts because she seemed to enjoy getting a reaction from me and I KNEW she was able to stay dry. AUGH. Kids....so confusing. Hoping you have a better weekend:)

Mom said...

well, maybe put her back in the other room temporarily on a mattress on the floor? or put Griff in there?

Allison said...

thanks Ashley.

mom, we have tried. she just keeps demanding more. She creates more things she is afraid of. Last night while sleeping in my bed next to only me she woke up crying, holding her head saying that Griffin had hit her. He was asleep in his bed. SHe talks about how the dog does stuff to her at night too. Ugh. She will grow out of it I hope but man, I am just tired of it and also just tired.

The Bryan-Stewarts said...

((HUGS)) wish I could give you one in IRL - I hope this passes quickly for everyone's sanity. One thought maybe this might has something to do with G starting school this coming week. IDK - but maybe she feels or here's the things being discussed with him and wants needs more. *shrug*

The Cribkeeper said...

I don't mean to get all Nanny 911, and you can tell me to shove my advice where the sun don't shine if you want;), but have you tried just setting up some "bedtime rules?" Like instead of letting HER determine when and where and who she sleeps with, just lay down the law and tell her you're going to bed at 8, in your own bed, with no one and then stick to it. If she cries, leave her. If she gets up, calmly put her back to bed. I know it sounds harsh and cruel to let your kid cry (and it is hard), but trust me, that's what we did with our girls, and within a week, they were sleeping in their own beds all night with no waking, and still do to this day. It was hard, don't get me wrong, and a few nights I "broke" and went in there or brought them to our bed just so I didn't have to hear them cry. But in the end, everyone gets much better sleep and it's so worth it.

Allison said...

thanks Mary.

ashley...I hear you. I waffle between her manipulating us and her really truly having some issues with being afraid. Griffin went through this too...his anxiety during the day was coming out at night. I am not opposed to her crying a little when it is just her being obnoxious but I can't let her cry endlessly if she really is scared. That is not to say she always gets what she wants...no way. THe problem really got bad becuase she had been in her room no problem but then started coming to our room in the middle of the night and crawling in bed. We both sleep hard so we did not realize this until the a.m. It has just progressively gotten worse. I don't know....some weeks we have tried stricter and it seems to make it worse so then we go back to letting her have more freedom.

Tonight we had a sitter. She went down easily in her own bed on time. She has still not woken up. So, it is definitely some manipulation happening. lol.

We will keep at it.

mom said...

for sure manip behavior on her part..and yes, it is exhausting to combat that...but if you stand your ground for one week and keep reassuring her..maybe it will turn out ok. I also agree that she is at that age of fears,night terrors,etc. I rememebr it well with both you gitls. It is curious that they (kids in gen)act diff for others. they go to bed and eat well for us!