Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Family Man

I have been going to these parenting classes. They are great. I participated in the series last winter as well and was pretty excited it was back this year because it really hit home for me. This year has been just as good so far.

Tonight was about communication. So, I ask, what is the definition of communication? The one used tonight was: the transmission of information. Hmmmm. Yeah, I get that. But communication is not about talking, just transmitting. One Transmitter, one receiver. That's it. Talking, sharing, back and forth is actually conversation and you must be invited in some way to partake in this. Hmmmm. Very interesting. I mean, I totally know all of this but in application...yup, totally lost most of the time. I am going to really noodle on this in many aspects of my life, especially parenting.

Lastly, definition of argument? His given was: the forcing of your opinions or thoughts to be received. So if I am not invited to a conversation but instead am just being transmitted information and I put my $.02 in what happens? defensive behavior from the transmitter and low and behold many arguments. It has happened this way a LOT recently for me and tonights conversation just really opened my eyes. Listen, stop judging, and wait to be invited for conversation.

I love the family man.

7 comments:

The Stewart's said...

So this is what family man is about. I thought you've been talking about a TV show the last few week on FB

Meredith said...

Me too! I was thinking, wow, Allison is sure into that TV show! Thanks for clearing this up!!

mom said...

and all this time I also thought youwere excited about the TVshow- it is funny and I know Lee loves it..haha..great to learn new things about communication-we can all use lessons!

Allison said...

is there a t.v. show with that name? haha. sorry to confuse.

mom said...

family guy?

Allison said...

very different title. haha.

Meredith said...

There's also "The Family Man" with Nicolas Cage and Tea Leoni, which was sort of a "It's a Wonderful Life" story.