Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 28, 2008

Blow Outs

So, I'm pretty sure every mom has been there. The poop that you hear across the room and you just know it didn't stay in the diaper. It's those poops that make me understand the people that speak of cutting onsies off their kid to avoid poo on the head. It's also those poops that make me ponder "catching poop", ie. ECing with Paisley. She is quite predictable that I could probably catch nearly every one. Hmmm, will have to give thought to that. My intention would be purely from a less mess for me standpoint and NOT from a teaching her to poop in the potty on her own at 2 months old. I know people who believe that but it's one idea I still can't take under my wing ;), catching them....maybe....

5 comments:

Ahmie said...

That's pretty much what started us on the EC path with Del (that, and not wanting to deal with another kid taking 3 years to potty-train). We still don't worry about pees. We were committed to being more "green" in our parenting this time around (after 3 years of disposable diapers into landfills *cringe*), which is why we went with gDiapers since we weren't sure if we could deal with cloth (and we quickly turned to using cloth in the gPants exclusively at home during awake adult hours, only using the flushables overnight and when out of the house for longer than we trust a cloth to last). I can't remember the last time Del pooped in his diaper, we started putting him on the potty at each diaper change, just offering the opportunity until he seemed like he wanted off, when he was 2 days old. The first poop I caught was still partially merconium. By about a month old he was about 80% pooping on the potty, then we went to Toronto and threw things off, after getting settled back home he was about 95% pooping on the potty and the other 5% was due to us missing his cues ("oh oops he WAS grunting wasn't he? Didn't hear him from the other side of the room where Liam had me playing with Legos when I thought the baby was sleeping...."). His cues have changed somewhat, at least they've gotten louder, and he stands up to indicate that he's done on the potty so we don't have to just guess.

For us, a real advantage is the cloth diaper washing is much more low-key when there's not a lot of poop to deal with - maybe too low-key, laundry should probably be washed a little more frequently! Del also seems to greatly prefer using the potty to poop, he seems to get really mad at us when we miss a poop and he has to sit in it for any amount of time. Considering Liam used to hide whenever he was about to poop in his diaper, I'll take Del's issues anytime. When the weather gets warmer I plan to work on pees with much naked baby time, but right now I'm really not worrying about it, and my advice is that you shouldn't with Miss P either - babies at that age just pee TOO often, wait for her bladder to get a bit bigger before worrying about it. Del's about to start crawling (he's up on all 4s and keeps propelling forward onto his face, just needs to figure out to move his hands before his face hits the floor), and he seems to be peeing more quantity with less frequency now (tho he's also pooping less often and we've caught nothing much for the last week or so, just a couple poops instead of the several a day - either the teething or the crawling milestone are my suspects of why), so I think we're likely to be losing our reliance on diapers around when he's a year, especially if he can crawl/walk over to the potty to let his clueless mama know what he needs!

Anonymous said...

wow..interesting ideas. never even considered that! I guess it can get you in shape- sprinting across the room to undress the baby to sit on the pot. I think that could work if you get to know the schedule of the child's poop and are home more than out at a job etc- not something you'd expect a child care provider to do i guess?

Alli- I wonder what my friends would say to THAT! ha

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one, had to Google "EC"...I also explained it to "GG" ...have pity, we old folks are not up on the latest poop jargon!

Anonymous said...

When D'Troyt was just a pup we caught him in the act of pooping on the kitchen floor. Because I knew I would have to carry him over white carpet in order to take him outside I held his tail up and dangled him over an empty case of Miller Lite that was sitting next to the trash can. Shortly after that, we had him pooping exclusively outside. I never even thought to credit his superb bowel control to that incident, but perhaps it was much more relevant than I realized. Prior to your blog, Alli, I had never heard of EC-ing. In our house we just referred to it as "that time D'T pooped in the Miller Lite box". Too bad, because this entire time I thought it was a concept I had invented myself...

Anonymous said...

it just goes to show that when you pay attention to such things training/anticipation can occur. You know when dogs go to "school" it is the owner that is being trained and learning behavior to read the dog and to be in charge..same for kids! it is amazing how similar the techniques are- watch-learn-react (or not) and repeat repeat repeat!