Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Reasons we don't do home improvement projects

So, our dryer has been making a squealing noise for a little while now. It hasn't gotten worse but it hasn't gotten better. A patient of mine told me it was an easy fix and probably the belt...my mom had also mentioned this as a possibility so I figured I would fix it. no problem, right? Lee HATES when I do this sort of thing. I am so eager to do it but doing things on my own, especially when learning, has never been my strong suit...I love learning, I love doing, but I like help ;) so he usually gets dragged into the project (that's the part he doesn't like). Anyhow, we start to investigate on the computer and waaaaay too many options as to the problem are coming up but one theme was apparent...go look at the machine. So, the family headed to the freshly cleaned basement for a looksie.

We unplug it, we move it away from the wall, we try to figure out how to look inside, we discover you must remove the back panel, we remove the back panel, Griffin finds batteries but calls them coins, we put those back, we remove a second panel with a bit more difficulty because the lint trap was holding it down, many coins fall out of the dryer when we tilt it, Griffin picks up coins and puts them in his mouth, I yell at him, we clean up lots of dust dog hair fur lint etc from inside and outside the dryer, we remove two separate pieces of metal lodged in places inside the dryer, we decide to turn it on to see if that improves or removes the squeal (it does mostly), Lee announces there is a fire and flits around a bit alerting me to it, I flit around some more figuring out what to do to get the fire out, I announce maybe it is the puff inside the dryer being dried that is on fire, Lee opens dryer, I see the light from inside illuminate the back panel but I confuse the light with fire and start panicking, I get a bucket of water, Lee looks inside and realizes it is the light....I recover from a heart attack, we put everything back together, no fire, all is well, squealing resolved!

wow, we should stick to our day jobs :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told Lee a loooonnggg time ago that he needs to make lots of money so he can hire a weekly cleaning lady to control the dust around his computer station (resolved-he now uses a laptop). I also told you to make lots of money so you could hire a house husband, Mr. Fix-it. Thanks for the big belly laugh! I am sooo uninclined to try to fix things myself- I just have the knack of putting the bug in MY husband's ear and he is good to go. Now, the quality of the repair is another long story.

Meredith said...

Great play-by-play!
This confirms my theory about the best ways to fix things:
First: Unplug it, then plug it back in.
Second: Unplug it, take it apart, clean it, put it back together.
If above does not work, make the call for outside help! Do not DO NOT go on the Internet (oh wait, that last part is for medical problems, never mind)

Anonymous said...

...and if your laptop had fizzled out due to spilling water all over it, let it sit for a few months and then turn it on for the heck of it and it just might work. Ask Meghan! Hip-Hip-Hooray!

Allison said...

yeah, for once pack ratting played in her/our favor ;)

The Stewart's said...

lol - too funny - glad the dryer is fixed.