Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 29, 2008

Sunday Swimming

So, we went to the Y yesterday for our first trip to the pool. Griffin was a bit skiddish at first but soon warmed up to the water. I LOVED being in the water! He let me take him into the deeper water where I could stand but he couldn't but then he wanted to get out again. That's when we opted for the life jacket. I knew that he might have trouble staying "down" with it on but I thought it might make him more fearless. It did a bit until it toppled him over like a turtle-poor boy. Then Julia, a 4 y.o., showed up and his fears quickly disappeared. She jumped in the water by herself, she swam by herself, and she went under water. By then end of our hour session in the water he was wearing the life jacket doggy paddling by himself, albeit slowly, to the walls. It was amazing to watch the transformation. We are going to try to go again tomorrow evening!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah Grif! It is true that kids do much better when it is THEIR idea to try something new. Thank you little girl for showing Griffin the way. He'll be swimming before long and you can put him into lessons. You did very well at the age of 5 (I tried tot swimming but you screamed and I waited till you could go into a class alone, probably should have taken you sooner.) oh well- you swim now.

The Stewart's said...

YAY - glad it worked so wonderfully. Sounds like fun. Yes it's always amazing the effect older kids on the littles.