Lee's grandfather died tonight. It was very peaceful and we were all over there which was nice. I am so happy he is not in pain any longer and he fought so hard even at the end. Just a really strong man. I am going to miss him though. He was at times a crochety old man and he repeated his stories frequently but I liked him. I most enjoyed when he came in as a patient and we talked about all sorts of things: Lee, BILs, my kids, his old times, healthcare, politics. I learned alot about the family from his eyes during those visits. I liked working on him too....I learned a lot as a doctor too from him. He always seemed to beat the odds over the years in regards to his health-he survived Polio at 5 y.o. just to name one! He was always quite proud of that fact. He was always quite proud of his waistline remaining the same over the years....he would tell me how most men could not wear the same pants as they did 20 years before but he could. cracked me up but he was right. He seemed to measure his health by his waistband. ha.
I am glad we can sleep tonight knowing he is at peace. I am happy he is no longer suffering...that was the worst part of all of this. To think he might be, to see him frustrated with not being able to communicate, for him to die this way.
I brought Griffin over there yesterday morning. We asked Griffin if he wanted to see him and he said he did. On the way he asked me if he would be awake to talk to him. I told him I was not sure and if he was awake he would not be able to talk. When we arrived he was sitting up and alert. He recognized griffin immediately and was quite excited! He said something like "the boy". He just loved the kids so very much The Griff and Boots. Griffin told him he loved him and said he was going to miss him. It was wonderful and sad. I think it was nice that it all happened the way it did...that griffin could see him, that he was alert, that it seemed to make an impact on him. Tonight I brought Paisley over there. We did not go in until after he died but I am thinking he knew his Boots was there. She knew whose house it was...my smart girl.
I am off to bed. To chal...love you grandpa. You rock!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
My condolences to all of you. I am sorry for your loss. I know he meant a lot to you.
Much love,
Meredith
I am so sorry. The story about Griffin brought a tear to my eye:(
....sigh... I am glad he is at peace. I think it was wonderful that he was alert to almost the end. That G-man got a chance to see him awake. G & P will have many memories of him.
Post a Comment