We were driving to the dentist on Tuesday. As we drove down our street I spotted the mail lady named sandy so I stopped and gave her a holiday card. After driving a bit paisley says "there are two sandy's....the mail lady and baba, daddy's mommy."at this point griffin wanted to know a) why her name was also sandy and b) why she wasn't a mail man and when we would get a mail MAN.
Drive a little more and we start discussing all the grandparents real names and what they also call them by. Grammie=Shirley, mommys papa=Darrell carroll (that really blew their mind), daddy's papa=David norris(they were amazed he had our last name).
Then griffin wanted to know who the old one was that had silver hair. The old papa, you know, the old one. (I had no idea what/who he was talking about at first and then realized it was lees grandfather who died last year). Yes the one who died. But then he wanted to know when everyone was going to die....(I told him we don't know but we hope a long time from now). Paisley is meanwhile interjecting that she doesn't remember the old papa (which breaks my heart). Griffin then asks when I will die? When daddy will die? I said I wasn't sure but I hoped it wouldn't happen soon. Then he wanted to know what would happen to them if we both died (by this point I am hoping we can time warp to the dentist and get out of the conversation). I told him that mom and dad would make arrangements for people to take care of them paisley : "what are arrangements?"). Griffin then debated all the people he thought could take them and the different reasons...."Kelly could cause she really loves me. John could cause he lives in Florida. Etc". Paisley then says:" they cold all take us griffin because they all love us."
We finally were t the dentists office and agreed that many people loved them and it was unlikely mommy and daddy would die together or soon and that all would be ok even if that did happen.
Geez....not exactly my easy ride in the car. Their little minds really can move at rapid pace.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
ah yes - death conversations - fun huh? btdt but Natalee tells us we are not going to die for a long time but we will and it will be OK - ah children.
I am crying
Post a Comment