Briar Kelly

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Art, Art, and more art.

Griffin has become a little artist at school. He LOVES his projects they have him do and is really improving his technical skills like cutting, pasting, and drawing. It is so fun to watch him explore an aspect of his personality/skillset that he has not before. And he is actually pretty good. Lee keeps referring to him as the "dark horse" since he has never shown interest before and Paisley always has. lol.

So what to do with all these great projects? I mean, I know I will keep some of them, two in particular, but the rest? I cannot throw them away in his presence...god forbid but really? There are piles and piles from the past 9 weeks.

Other than the art he is blooming through school. He is learning to recognize letters, writing, very remedial reading (through letter recognition), and in turn spelling. It is sooo cool. He is still not very interested in numbers. I so hope he does not struggle with math because that can be difficult for children. He has become VERY interested in books which thrills me. He will sit and read to himself at night which is sooo cute! His imagination is soaring. The games he plays crack me up and he is always creating obstacle courses for his little men or animals. Bathtime can occupy him for hours if we let him and this is not about getting clean it is about playing. He has long involved conversations with his men and animals in the bath. Cracks me up.

He really is such a joy. I am LOVING this age. Sure there is still a lot of whining and dramatics but you can reason with him many times. I get so mad at myself when I do lose my cool with him because he really is such a sweet boy.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

How about taking photos of the artwork, and making them into a slideshow screensaver for your computer? Bet he'd like seeing that too! That way you can spirit away some of them, and eventually discard them.
If I saved all of Julia's art, we'd have to move out, because there would be no room for us! So I periodically would separate a pile, but not get rid of it in case she asked for one in particular. After a while, new art will take its place in his memory, and then you can throw away a lot of it. I keep an underbed storage bin just for the most favorite art...

The Cribkeeper said...

I totally relate to getting mad at yourself for losing your cool. Most of the time, when I lose my cool with Carly and yell, I always immediately regret it. There's so many bratty, awful kids out there, and sometimes I just need to take a step back and realize what a great kid I have, even with the whining and drama that goes on. Glad I'm not the only Mommy that loses it now and then ( or a few times a day;)).

Mom said...

love hearing the progress reports on Griffin.
re: the art work. What I did was save the best ones in a folder of sorts and then cull after the year. I have writing examples & some art work. I think we went through it when you were older- nice to have some of it, but not all. rotate it off the refrigerator and place it on a shelf in basement perhaps; make it Griffin's bin/shelf...so he knows it is kept there.
re: losing your cool...kids need to know they and you are perfect. it's ok to get grumpy with kids.

The Bryan-Stewarts said...

I was gonna say the same thing as Meredith. I have a special folder on my computer of Nat's artwork, cuz we'd have no room in this house if I kept it all.

And the cool - losing - I hear ya.